U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: matte black paint pen

Re: matte black paint pen

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: matte black paint pen
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:35:35 -0800

>    The best generally available light absorbent paint I've
> been able to find is Krylon Ultra-Flat-Black.

I need to get one of those.

> I think the paste-on flocking is better and there are some
> hard to find specialty paints but this stuff is relatively
> cheap, works well, and is available in most hardware stores.

The surface causing reflection is the opening edges of a slit
shutter in Horizon Perfekt camera. This US$500 piece of Zenit
camera has so many small flaws, and I am working out hacks to
solve them.

The rotating lens platform is equipped with a set of rear
slits to make a shutter. This is made from a black plastic,
and the slit edge is straight cut, not even roughened. This
edge is causing reflection that makes long tails as the
shutter sweeps, whenever there is a street light in the
scene. There is no space or access to place flocking. Also
there is no access to roughen the surface with sand paper. I
tried to roughen the surface with a solvent mixture (heptane
and xylene) but this stuff melts to make a shiney surface
again. I really barely have enough space and time (there's no
good way to keep the shutter open in the middle of the
rotation range without holding against the driving mechanism)
to apply something on cotton swab.

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/Horizon_Perfekt

This is the only camera that made me feel like I should shoot
color again. (and indeed, I bought a few bricks of color film.)