U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum Preservatives

Re: Gum Preservatives

Chris,

Actually what I used was isopropyl alcohol.

Sam

On Dec 6, 2006, at 9:41 AM, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

So thymol goes a long way. 10g is not expensive, either. And neither is methylated alcohol, tho couldn't one use isopropyl?

It is interesting that Michael asked about using glyoxal as a preservative, because I never heard of it being that, and also, it hardens gum. But for some unknown reason they did use formaldehyde as a preservative in gum back in the day. Seems so strange to me.
Chris