U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Newbie in lith print

Re: Newbie in lith print

Formaldehyde is used in classic hydroquinone-only lith
developer as a part of sulfite buffering system. It is not an
essential part of lith developer but it is used to ensure good
tray life of the developer. In lith printing, since the
developer is further diluted, this formaldehyde-sulfite
buffering system is ineffective and the developer dies rather
fast with or without such dilute sulfite buffer.

I have proposed to make a lith printing developer that omits
such useless additions, but made to work actively when mixed
freshly (eliminating old brown ritual), so that there is no
hesitation in replacing the developer bath as needed. I posted
it to the original (and the real) pure-silver several years
ago. It was also discussed again on 21 June 2006 between Chris
and me on alt-photo. I encourage you to try this route. In my
experience, the given formulae work well with most lithable
papers but it is also easily tweakable for your taste and for
your paper stock, by adjusting the pH and/or KBr
concentration.