U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: First Tricolor Gum (on aluminum)

Re: First Tricolor Gum (on aluminum)

Loris, the tape for corners seems a good idea, better than driving nails into your work. I have always registered paper negatives with a simple right angle pencil mark at the corners, and it's always worked very well for me. Thanks for posting this, it's fun to see what people are doing with gum.

The calcium carbonate, I take it, is for "traction" to give the gum something to hang onto, much like the fine sand I use in acrylic for the same purpose on hard surfaces. I find that it doesn't always hold three layers; sometimes it will, but sometimes the top one will only hold in areas where there aren't already two layers of gum. And sometimes the top layer will stick to the other two layers and then all three layers pull off the surface together. So I'd say you did quite well on your first attempt. Which was your last layer, the yellow or the magenta?

I suppose in a way this could be seen as a variation on the gelatin/ gesso thing. It's interesting to watch how ideas spread and mutate.
Katharine