U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: plexglass face mounting

RE: plexglass face mounting

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: plexglass face mounting
  • From: Eric Neilsen <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:01:07 -0600
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:X-MIMEOLE:Thread-Index;b=LZSyhp0hq+1/BvExtLlbZ6/nyHMxtt8O2h7/S/dsKqrV5fU66vBFhWelmNiXWUpkXae6Y0kXVjpC9/fLnDMfe9rI5VfVToWtIzkW+Ukq56DE6Boa6BUCQwdjp3Ma+PVL9wovpPB02LQLz6CkaZSI5kR9SzRCvwWVMZSxwFBt4sk= ;

I haven't seen any data on this but I'll share my experiences with plexi and
mounting. While I was assisting a photographer in Taos with his work,
laminating ciba chromes to plexi was a "normal" part of the process. There
are several types of adhesives and several manufactures or same.
Product/adhesive is meant for print and porous materials and some is meant
for hard surface application. There were expiration dates on the rolls of
adhesive.

We had one job that was hung in the museum down in Santa Fe, that was
produced for another photographer that came apart while hanging. The piece
peeled off the black plexi. Cause? Well it could have been heat, humidity,
bad adhesive? Those prints were back mounted but the same adhesive was also
used in some applications at the studio to face mount on clear plexi for use
in light boxes. I didn't see any of those fail. I have not checked on the
condition of those pieces.

I don't know if using any of those adhesive is a good or bad idea. I doubt
that the companies have done extensive testing of gum prints with their
products. Maybe that is a Wilhelm project.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226