U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: plexglass face mounting

Re: plexglass face mounting

Loris, your comment about sealing a print with polyurethane prompted me to
share my experience with sealing with lacquer. I haven't done this on a
print but I make iron furniture that I paint with artist acrylics because I
like the color and relatively non-toxicity (compared with the very tough and
deadly materials for metal). I prime the metal with acrylic rust proof
primer and then go about building up many layers of decorative paint. The
acrylic is way too soft to hold up to the abrasion that furniture would have
to endure so once I am satisfied with the look I saturate the acrylic with
lacquer. This is done with excessive amounts of lacquer so it will sink into
the absorbent acrylic before it dries. If runs or sags form I spray on more
lacquer to let the run flow out and flatten. On a flat print this would be
easy to do with it horizontal since the lacquer wouldn't tend to flow
around. Just spray on a thick enough layer so it will sink in at the bottom
of the layer before it dries from the top of the layer. The result is having
both a hard layer on top and the acrylic hardened. I suspect gum would
absorb lacquer in the same way.

I have hauled ironwork finished this way to shows for years with very little
damage. It there was a scratch it would often be in the clear layer and not
into the paint. By the way there are wonderful new lacquers that be used
outdoors.

Jack