U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: A question about inks

Re: A question about inks

Many black inks are carbon black inks. India ink uses shellac as the
binder. Japanese sumi is another example of carbon black but in hide
glue as the binder. In terms of binder, sumi will mix easily with
gelatin because hide glue and gelatin are very similar chemically. There
are different kinds of sumi, varying from blue black to warm black. The
difference is in the side distribution of the carbon particles.

If you are seeking dye based black ink, check out Noodler's Ink made for
fountain pens. It's more expensive than above inks, but they are dyes.
(Otherwise the ink will clog the ink feeder mechanism in most fountain
pens.)

There are a few approaches to waterproof inks. Waterproof inks that uses
water as the solvent uses the binder that becomes insoluble upon drying,
or uses the dye that becomes chemically bound to the cellulose fiber
upon drying. Usually, pigment inks use the former approach and dye inks
the latter. I know Noodler's waterproof inks are dye based and they
chemically bind with paper fibers. Noodler's waterproof inks drawn on
non-paper substrates can be washed away easily by plain cold water.

Examples of carbon black ink that is waterproof is Platinum Carbon Ink
made for their special fountain pen. This is carbon ink but the binder
becomes insoluble in water upon drying. The ink dissolves easily in less
polar solvents such as 2-propanol.

http://wiki.silvergrain.org/wiki/index.php/Pens_and_Inks