U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: cheap ink

Re: cheap ink

I would have thought a continuous ink system such as the Lyson one: http://www.lyson.com/cis.html would be most suitable for educational establishments. The initial outlay is high but I worked out that they would pay for themselves before the first set of 125ml bottles are used up.

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Keith,
The figures I have for ink are .008-.016 cents per square INCH, and considering there are 144 sq. inches in a square foot, my cost for ink we figured is $1.15-2.30. I think I got answers from a bunch of different sources, and then averaged. Jack Fulton was one that responded to that question. So your .0069 per square inch is not too bad. Where did you get that statistic, and is it for Epson inks?

This last semester our department of 120 majors used $10,000 worth of ink. We had collected fees of our digital users, which amounted to about 70 who paid fees and therefore used the printers--we charged each student $95 and, of course, had to eat the rest. Now, this is with large cartridges, too--more economical than the puny ones that come with, say, the Epson 2400. So the ink fee per student is going up to $135 I think.

What's sad about this is that we are retiring the huge color machine in our wet lab at the end of May. Parts are getting scarce, when it breaks down it takes a long time to fix, and, frankly, students are not using it like they used to because they can do color quickly and easily on digital printers. So an 8x10 print that used to cost pennies in a color machine will now cost $.64-1.28 for the ink and then the added cost of the paper as well.

I feel your pain...
Chris