U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Polytoner trouble: black specks

Polytoner trouble: black specks

I am processing b&w 35mm motion picture prints on Eastman Fine Grain Release Positive film which I would like to tone. This is a wonderful, inexpensive, fine grain, blue sensitive film that can be treated much like RC photo paper. In the past, I used Kodak's Polytoner--now discontinued--with good results. I run the prints through a countertop processor designed to develop 100 foot lengths of microfilm (Recordak Prostar). The toning looks good but I am getting tiny dark specks on the emulsion side of the film throughout the 100 foot length. These specks can be removed with water and gentle scrubbing . . . mostly. When observed with a bright light at just the right angle they look metallic, a coppery red.

I tone prints that have already been developed, washed and dried. For toning they pass through these stages at 90 degrees F: water wash, 2 tanks of homemade polytoner, water wash, 1 tank of Hypo Clear, water wash, dryer.

Each tank of homemade polytoner contains:
Part 1:
Kodak Rapid Selenium 10 ml
Balanced Alkali 20 grams
hot water 250 ml

Part 2:
Liver of Sulfur 20 grams
Borax 1 gram
hot water 250 ml

I mix these and add enough hot water to bring the solution up to 650ml.

For my last run, I carefully filtered Part 2 which tends to be sludgy, but I still got the dark specks. What are they? What am I doing wrong?

I suspect they have something to do with the selenium. Is my toner too alkaline? Not alkaline enough?

Thanks for your time.

Dan Fuller
making silent films in Wisconsin