U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Polytoner trouble: black specks

RE: Polytoner trouble: black specks

Dan,

I don't know about Polytoner but various kinds of chemical contamination
cause selenium to precipitate out of selenium toner - as extremely fine
black particles that can look reddish.  Is there a possibility that the film
still contains traces of silver halide when subjected to toning? (i.e.
wasn't completely fixed!!)  Sorry to ask, but paper prints can be given a
good brown tone by bleaching (ferricyanide-bromide, etc.) and then toning in
a strong selenium solution - it puts down a fairly heavy, powdery
precipitate of elemental selenium (and exhausts pretty rapidly) while doing
this, so I thought your problem might be related.

[Used to get psychedelic orange/red colours by selenium toning after
bleaching with iodine, but don't know if it would still work with modern
emulsions.]

Liam