U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Palladium-toning Van Dyke

Palladium-toning Van Dyke

Hi everyone,

Forgive me if this is a common question.

I've been having a lot of success recently with printing Van Dyke Brown, and I'd like to experiment more with toning my prints. My initial thought was to try gold-toning, but it's difficult to find cheap gold chloride in small quantities, and palladium-toning seems like it would be much less expensive. I would likely buy PdCl2 and then mix with NaCl to make a Pd toner -- I guess I could also mix it with LiCl to give Ziatypes a try (they look interesting too).

There are just a few examples of Pd-toning Van Dykes on the web. My understanding is that the final print colour ends up something like a warm black. Is this correct? Is Pd-toning Van Dykes advisable?

Jordan

--

Jordan Wosnick
jwosnick@fastmail.fm