U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: an infant got x-rayed

Re: an infant got x-rayed

From: Jack Fulton <jefulton1@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: an infant got x-rayed
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:04:27 -0800

> Yes. I had also written to Fuji, and they responded with a
> letter explaining how the film could be damaged, and had my
> Faculty ID, all to no avail.  I had deliberately not used
> the lead bags but my colleague Linda Connor does all the
> time as she works solely with 810 b/w film and travels a
> lot.

I learned in mid-1990s that in UK they don't care about any of
the above factors and they MUST x-ray. Since then I don't
bother to ask.

I've seen only one argument against lead bags in past 10
years. It went like this... if you use lead bag to cut x-ray
and if the inspector can't see the content clearly, they may
increase the radiation dose and rescan the luggage, resulting
in greater total exposure. This is probably true for checked
in luggage but I've never seen this done on carry on. They
rather check visually in such a case. I also usually tell them
that there's a lead bag containing films in my luggage
upfront, which they can confirm on the screen, though with
much lower contrast due to the lead bag.