U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | C. Bennett Moore and gum

C. Bennett Moore and gum

Hi All,
I am at the George Eastman House this week and next, researching gum printing. Needless to say I am in hog heaven. I must be really boring to be excited about this.

They have a darling notebook type book in there by Leyland Whipple that actually has 4 or so gum prints in the back of it, real gum prints! Pete Turner's work is hanging in a show now, there, at the GEH...and what a place...

Whipple had good points, and believed that you learn a lot about gum by standardizing, and he learned this from a guy named C. Bennett Moore. Anyone on the list ever heard of him? He lived in Alexandria VA, although Whipple himself was from Portland, Maine. Book has a 1964 date on it so it would have been before that time that Whipple met Bennett.

Lots more to share but I'll do it in mini pooplets (does that translate into other languages?)--this list has been far too quiet over the holidays. What up wit dat? I had an excuse--no internet to speak of for two and a half weeks unless I drove to a local hotel's parking lot and sat in my car with my laptop.
Chris