U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language & Grammar Police

RE: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language & Grammar Police

From: http://www.grammartips.homestead.com/appositives.htm

Here's an error from T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock":

Let us go then, you and I . . .

Technically, it should read, "Let us go then, you and me. . . ."  The
appositional pronouns ("you" and "I") need to be in the same (objective)
case as the pronoun "us."  But in Eliot's case I think we can call it poetic
license.
B.  When the first substantive is a pronoun, it should be in the case
appropriate to its role in the sentence.

WRONG:     Us students need to get much better grades on this next exam.
RIGHT:     We students need to get much better grades on this next exam.

WRONG:  Mr. Allen assured we students that the grades on the last exam
would be dropped if we did better on the next one.

RIGHT: Mr. Allen assured us students that the grades on the last exam
would be dropped if we did better on the next one.