U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language & Grammar Police

RE: Digital Negatives & PT/PD / language & Grammar Police

> Let us go then, you and I,
> When the evening is spread out against the sky Like a patient
> etherised upon a table...

No, they all got it wrong. My answer below is the right one.

The "you and I" in the above sentence is not the object of 'let,' otherwise
it should be "let you  and let me" and thus "let you and me."

But the "you and I" above is vocative. The person is calling/addressing
'you' and himself/herself.

But Judy, don't send me the gift (that is, assuming I am right). I have
planned to buy it. I am just replying for some fun in grammar.

So let I buy the book.   ;-)

David