U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: clearing dichromate stain

Re: clearing dichromate stain

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

 FWIW see the MSDS at:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p5719.htm

And at:
https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/19370.htm
Richard, if I ever gain web connectivity again in my lifetime I'll do that. (I write e-mail on terminal emulator). But I wouldn't trust an MDS anyway -- I've read them for gum arabic, and for gelatine... you'd think they were arsenic. MDS is in the business of presenting worst possible case... to justify their existence. and protect from law suit.

There is absolutely NO sense of proportion... which isn't a guide you want to live by.

I have no idea if dichromate was used as a food additive in the past. Its possible because many hazardous substances were.
And of course still are. So now in NY State you have to add preservative to apple cider. Tastes almost like canned apple juice. (We talk about getting a cider press... do our very own e-coli, perhaps, but enjoy cider again.

Plus you can't sell raw mozzarella, among the other pleasures of an ethnic neighborhood now verboten. The thing you absolutely CANNOT get from an MDS or its co-conspirators is common sense.

best,

Judy

---
Richard Knoppow