To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:41 AM
Subject: Re: Eastman House gum prints

Judy wrote,

I would figure, Chris, that "security" isn't a problem at GEH where
visitors are well vetted? (Do you get to handle the original
publications?) But then again last year the papers were full of a
story about the map expert who filched antique maps from Yale and
Harvard libraries, among others, then got caught.
It was a bit of a problem in the past. I don't know if that is still
true. I lived in Rochester for many years, visited GEH hundreds of
times, and knew a number of the employees and conservators personally.
They all had horror stories of thefts by visitors. Last I knew, GEH had
begun to restrict access to at least some materials to people
(generally academics) with a "legitimate research interest."

At least at that time, I always got to see original artwork and
publications, and was left alone with them.

While we're on the subject, let's not forget the tens or hundreds of
thousands of images and films that were deteriorating much faster than
GEH could conserve them. A real pity.

Best regards,

etienne