U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: feedback wanted on reminder message

Re: feedback wanted on reminder message

Hi Gord,

If I've sent this message or equivalent already, please don't burn me at the stake or -- Karenize me. I've screwed up something and it disappeared. So I try again:

Now permit me to suggest that sending the same message about playing nicely, etc., every week under the same subject line is futile -- important as it is. I don't read it again... does anybody? Obviously you don't want to compose a new list manual every week, but what might work is a distinct "Welcome" message sent to the new subscriber with a subject line like "List Welcome and Rules," with the complete set. Then a second message arriving at whatever intervals, subject lined "How to Unsubscribe and Other List Rules." Or, "What not to do on the list." Or...... whatever.

Obviously, folks who unsubscribe to the list haven't been paying perfect attention, but seeing "How to Unsubscribe" and "What not to do" in their queue at intervals might serve as reminder when the time comes.... more than "Weekly Reminder," I suspect.

If it could be automated, that is, done without your having to do it, I'd suggest that after the initial "welcome" letter with all the info, breaking up the sections and sending parts one at a time would register better. For instance, your sentence about "people not treated courteously are less likely to share info" rings true (& well said), but if verbatim every week, buried in other verbatim, it becomes boilerplate.

Obviously, a list T-shirt with those maxims front & back would be ideal. Though, if it could be automated into separate parts after the initial welcome, it might work almost as well.

Then again, on the 3rd hand, seeing that those "unsubscribes" to the list tend to come in spates after turbulence, I suspect the intent is anyway hostile rather than innocent, and *no* strategy will forstall that -- (except perhaps burning at the stake ?).

Judy

Read My T-Shirt for President: A True History of the Political Front _ and
Back >www.frontandbackpress.com<
A reader writes: "I'd recommend it for a Pulitzer Prize, except I lack the credentials."