U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Question about Masa paper

Question about Masa paper

Hi All,
Someone asked me if I've tried printing gum on Masa paper, re a recent discussion about printing cyanotype on Masa. I hadn't, but pulled out a piece today to print on. But before reporting on the results, I want to be sure we're all talking about the same paper.

The Masa I have, I've had for years, and is the only Masa included in the Daniel Smith Japanese paper sample pack which I've also had for years (I've used it, not for printing gum on, but for drawing cliche- verre negatives on). But the current Daniel Smith catalog lists two kinds of Masa: plain Masa, which is described as "a soft white paper with the traditional absorbency and feel of handmade Japanese papers" and Waxed Masa, which is described as translucent and water-resistant.

The Masa paper I have, seems somewhere in between. It's soft and fuzzy (nappy) on one side, and hard (not waxed, really, but smooth) on the other side, and the paper is about the thickness of typing paper. So I'm curious, Loris, is the Masa paper you've printed cyanotype on anything like this? I'm asking because if my paper is outdated, there's no point in perfecting printing on it. Thanks,
Katharine