U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: dark gums

Re: dark gums

Hi Jack,
Yes, wouldn't it be great to get an "alt list" grant??

I learned the hard way about misregistration.  I tried to
overprint some platinums I had of my New Oreans series, and
it just didn't work. Every print was off 1/8 inch, enough to
be annoying.  So I had to bite the bullet, preshrink arches
platine, print the platinum and then the other layers on
top.  I found that Platine was really nicely stable once it
had gone through the first preshrink process. I also found
that there was less bleed/washoff with it if I preshrunk.

But then when I looked at some of those prints in the
archives at GEH, misregistration was not uncommon!  I didn't
notice any in Paul Anderson's work, finding that work quite
beautiful.

As far as layers, if they are printing on unshrunk paper,
first the brown layer, then the paper shrinks in the first
development, is it possible that they could do the black
layer next and print several blacks on top that would not be
out of register because the paper is already shrunk once in
the development? It seems in reading that common practice
was 3 layers to maybe 6, in fact, Anderson comments
something to the effect that a bunch of people were printing
many layers but he felt it was silly, that most gums could
be had in very few layers.  I don't have the source in front
of me as I am playing hooky at work writing from my work
computer during office hours (no students are desirous of my
scintillating presence).

However, I read in one or more places that they cultivated
the misregistration, that is was a pictorial device.  Kerik
Kouklis mentioned seeing pretty bad registration on some old
prints, too, but he thought it might have been unintentional
instead of intentional.  I have yet to see misregistration
that is effective, IMNSHO.

BTW that Raab work is mighty fine...
Chris