U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Anderson on registration

Anderson on registration

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, zphoto@montana.net wrote:

But then when I looked at some of those prints in the
archives at GEH, misregistration was not uncommon!  I didn't
notice any in Paul Anderson's work, finding that work quite
beautiful.

However, I read in one or more places that they cultivated
the misregistration, that is was a pictorial device.  Kerik
Kouklis mentioned seeing pretty bad registration on some old
prints, too, but he thought it might have been unintentional
instead of intentional.  I have yet to see misregistration
that is effective, IMNSHO.
There's a chapter in Anderson's book on Pictorial Photography about gum over platinum (or other combo, tho I think it's that), where he says register the face and fake the rest of it , that is, fudge it by pencil.

I quoted that in an early Post-Factory -- and who knows I may even find it in the index, which I have around here somewhere. In any event, that could be why you didn't *notice* misregistration (unless you tried an eraser on it, which might not fly at GEH).

J.