U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: dark gums

RE: dark gums

Hello all,
Thanks so much for all the help.

I had frustrating day in the darkroom, but I am still experimenting, testing
and reading through everyone's advice--Scopik, James, Van Keuren--and at
least I got an image. The problems have been:

1. Flaking off of the image [too much gum, right?]

2. Extremely long exposures that still provide little image, with pigment
not coming out [too long of exposures? not enough contrast in negative? Too
much pigment?]

3. A bit of staining after the print has washed.

4. uneven gelatin on one print--that showed up in the image. I think the
gelatin was starting to cool.

Christina, my negatives are digital inkjet. However, before reading your
email my plan for tomorrow was to separate the image into 3 negs--RGB--but
print them all black. But after reading your advice on controlling exposure
and pigment I think I can print one negative with a full range and get what
I want with multiple layers. In fact, I'm realizing that that is the only
way to go, and that is a benefit of printing with gum.

One question though, with the multiple printing/adding pigment, can I have
my sensitize solution [gum, pigment and dichromate] mixed and then add
pigment to it? [what length of time--if any--will the light sensitive
mixture last?] Or do I need to add pigment to the gum each time, and then
mix it with the dichromate?

Also, I have a 30% saturated ammonium dichromate solution...would it be too
much a variable to change this to compensate with/for exposure? Could I add
more distilled water to this already mixed solution?

Questions, question, questions. I really appreciate everyone's help. I live
in Rochester, and last year around this time I looked at just about every
gum print at the Eastman House myself. They were amazingly beautiful to see,
and now I have an even greater appreciation of the process. As frustrating
as the process can be, it compares more closely to printmaking than to
making prints [photo], and I feel like once I work through some of these
technicalities I am going to love it.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Ilana