U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

I had posted something (God, was it the match the lit the field?) about a
week or so ago about working in colour gum (Bi, Duo, Tri, Quad, Tetra, Hexa
or Septa ...for that matter, all fine by me). OK, maybe my phasing was a
little scientific (or vague or dopey) to suggest one could physically
quantify a multi-colour palette of gum. But I'm pretty new to the sport. I'm
no expert -- but that's why I'm here. There's very little in the archives
that discusses the topic. I thought the question was on topic for the list.
No one seemed interested in discussing the idea of current or past methods
of "balancing" a gum print. People were too busy discussing more pressing
issues (read: "The End of Forte" "Dan and Jill's Moving Sale" and "Digital
Noise Reduction" NOT that there's anything wrong with THAT...:^) there were
marked OT...ah mostly). But I was looking for a little mentoring, a little
TLC even a swifted kick in the pants in the right direction would have been
appreciated. I got the cold-shoulder. What a difference a day makes though.
I'm over it. I know, we can't all be on the same page at the same time.
(Save for one person who contacted me off-list -- and she knows who she is.)
What's my point? I'll the ask the question again: does anyone have a method
or workflow for "balancing" colour gum work? Or do they bother? Success
stories or failures (usually the more interesting of the two). I'd like to
hear them.

~m