U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

One issue I may have missed in this "colour balancing" discussion is a
problem I have with my (mostly) gum-over-cyanotype prints.

I often print landscapes, with simple CMY or CMYK negatives colour-separated
in Photoshop. Normally the colour balance is pleasing, except for the sky.
Grey skies are fine, but when the image includes a blue sky, the cyano layer
by itself looks just right - and the magenta layer then prints quite a lot
of magenta over it. Presumably this is because the prussian blue of
cyanotype is not at all close to the true cyan which is assumed by the
separations.

Of course the problem is easily solved by gently brushing away the excess
magenta during development - but does anyone else have the same problem? Or
a better solution?

Best wishes

Henry