U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

RE: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Michael,

I've been doing this...making stocks...observations...colours have been
separating out. Some float on top some stay mixed pretty well but something
like Cerulean Blue sink like an anchor. No big deal just stir them again
before use.

I use a Dremel rotary tool with a home made attachment to stir the
gum/pigment solution in the bottle. It works great and assures homogeneity
of the slurry.

 Paint is paint afterall. Other observations...all pigments are not created
equal. I've been using M.Graham colours selecting more by colour and not so
much by their "grade" or series. A "2 Series" and a "5 Series"
(in M.Graham) are vary different with regards to viscosity and coverage
(pigment load?!). So I've been having to "tune" each
pigment:gum:dichromate:water ratio mix to compensate. Is this just the
nature of the beast?

I weight the amount of pigment that is contained in each tube (and record it
for later comparison with other brands and colors.) Different brands of tube
watercolor have different densities. For example, even though Winsor &
Newton Indian Yellow has the same appearance (color) in the bottle as M.
Graham New Gamboge the Indian Yellow is a little more dense and will print
slightly different.

  Also something that crossed my mind. Have you ever used honey or glycerine
as a "cutting" medium or in addition to gum in the stock? They seem to be
the other principle ingredients in the watercolour tube.

Why not keep it simple and just use gum? I think glycerin and honey would be
more expensive and the honey would be less consistent than gum mixed from
powder.

BTW, a great source for Nalgene bottles is Michigan Ink Supply, the least
expensive I've found yet.

Don Bryant