U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Thanks Chris,
I'll distill that down to:
- Trial and Error
- Experience
- Proper curves (or neg's) = >Then vary the pigment saturation for
balancing. (Ah ha! But does that not change the curve? Not enough to
matter?)
- "Imbalanced" great word, the correct word, you'd kill me in Scrabble (not
hard to do BTW).
- Some colours just fit together...(R= PR209 Y= Raw
Sienna)...ok...experience
- Try printing another layer (balance layer) and see how it looks
- Don't Print yellow under tungsten light, especially if you've been
drinking and/or eating dichromate sausages ...you'll start to see
clowns...bright yellow clowns....
- More Trial and Error and More Experience...I'm fine with that.

One thing I've been wondering about though (below):

> As you all know (and Michael, some of this is in the book you have in your
> little mitts) I mix up stock solutions of color and gum in 60ml
bottles--one
> tube of 14/15ml color to a total volume of 60ml gum/pigment.
>
> I mix this at time of use cut in half with gum, and that mix (1 stock to 1
> gum) is mixed with 2 tsp of 15% am di (actually, one tsp water and one tsp
> am di saturated).

I've been doing this...making stocks...observations...colours have been
separating out. Some float on top some stay mixed pretty well but something
like Cerulean Blue sink like an anchor. No big deal just stir them again
before use. Paint is paint afterall. Other observations...all pigments are
not created equal. I've been using M.Graham colours selecting more by colour
and not so much by their "grade" or series. A "2 Series" and a "5 Series"
(in M.Graham) are vary different with regards to viscosity and coverage
(pigment load?!). So I've been having to "tune" each
pigment:gum:dichromate:water ratio mix to compensate. Is this just the
nature of the beast?
  Also something that crossed my mind. Have you ever used honey or glycerine
as a "cutting" medium or in addition to gum in the stock? They seem to be
the other principle ingredients in the watercolour tube.

~m