U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Re: Tri-Curious Seeks Other Tri-Quad Curious Gummists

Do we want balance? Yes I think that a reasonably balanced print should be
ONE of many options obtainable by this process. Sure, it's at the extreme
end of the gum spectrum, the other end I imagine is toward minimalism,
expressionism or into complete abstraction. But who says there wouldn't be a
use for a well balanced print in any of those styles? True maybe only the
artist would know -- but to thine own self be true.
  The two photographers which I've been looking at for inspiration are the
early gum work of Steven Livick (which I was lucky enough to see first hand
at a local gallery) and the tri-colour glass plates of Prokudin-Gorskii. A
lot of the Prokudin-Gorskii work for those who don't know has been
"re-created" digitally from the original glass plates (at the Library of
Congress site). They were meant to be colour projections, I'm not sure if
they were ever printed. It seems gum would have been an option in 1905.
While Livick's are almost photographic, the Prokudin-Gorskiis have the sense
that they are almost photographic but unravelling at the edges and randomly
at certain points within the image. I'm quite taken by them. I think it's
that "almost" quality that actually gets me. I wonder if it wasn't behind
some of the "almost" style I see in Lorretta Lux's current work.
~m