U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | double take on tri-color

double take on tri-color

Why are my e-mails coming in with so much garbage upfront? (here, anyway)

Now I'm going to say this, then try to mind my own business: It seems to me the definition of "tricolor" has been changed without my permission. AFAIK, the term refers to a 3-color color separation. although literally it simply means 3 colors. But nowhere have I seen it writ that they must be all in one medium.

Maybe the group wants to use it that way, like different names for platinum printing, but, still, it seems to me a stretch. Don't some "tricolors" have black? And other refinements? Not everything is defined in a name.

There are, I gather, good & sufficient reasons to use cyano for blue, and others presumably not to. (I haven't ever.) But there are reasons to add this and that to the emulsion, which don't get into the title either.

As for future shock, if a person thinks her gum print is all gum & it isn't... that should be her worst problem. Like what if the gelatin hasn't been hardened and the bugs eat it? Or if the paper turns brittle & brown. Or fugitive pigments, It's very easy to diagnose cyano, BTW... just a tiny drop of bleach in 1 corner. Heh heh...

etc.

J.