U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Source for Uranium Nitrate

RE: Source for Uranium Nitrate

Hi Mark,

I hope and assume that you know that Uranium Nitrate is a very toxic
substance , it is not so much it's (relative) low radioactivity, but
it's toxicity by it self. I used to work with it in a lab enviroment,
and the safety officer of our lab told me that uranylnitrate was one of
the few compounds on which there was a restriction on the total amount
beeing present in the lab.

So I do hope that you have the skills and equipment to work with toxic
compounds (and the means to dispose the waste).

I did some toning on silver gelatine paper (Ilford FB), and that was a
rather frustating affair: the toner is capable of beatifull warm, deep
red tones, but it shifts easily to a more chestnut warm brown.

The biggest problem was the clearing of the whites after toning, this
took a long time, bleached the image a bit and shifted the colour. On RC
paper the clearing was less of a problem.

Good luck,

Cor

Rudman's