U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Uranium Nitrate- a few comments-reply

Re: Uranium Nitrate- a few comments-reply

Judy,

I read recently that red wine, chocolate and coffee in moderation all all good for you. In my experience, if you want to get a women's attention, chocolate gets em every time, but thats another story.
Sorry I left out the gum pigment ratio test which is another alternate -process "urban myth." I guess these cannot be repeated too often on the list for the benefit of newbees. The "bug" light
myth is my favorite dumb idea. Possibly because not only is it not necessary but also because it actually makes it more difficult to get a nice even coat of sensitizer.
Interesting that you mentioned uranium glaze. I don't know in what form it is in but it was often
in the form of a powder which you should be very careful so that you do not breathe in the dust. Its not very radioactive so again distance is the best shield.

In your case the symptoms of uranium poisoning are increased intelligence and perception. ;-)

Uranium was also used in glass manufacturing. There is a kind of green glassware that has a waxey
look. I forget what it is called. A lot of glass was made in this area and I have collected a few pieces of it. It glows bright green under UV light but what most people don't know is that it contains enough uranium to make my GM Counter go nuts. (As you might suspect I own my own GM detector. I think it will come in handy when Bush invades Iran and starts WW III.)

This glassware I am talking about will "take its own photo" Just lay it on a plate holder with 400
ASA film in it for a week or two and then develop. I also have an OLD pocket watch that has the numbers and hands painted in with a mixture of radium and zinc sulfide. It glows really bright in the dark and will also make my GM counter scream. Someday I'm going to let it take its own photo.

Hope some of this will be of interest to the list.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:

http://www.SchrammStudio.com