U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Cutting KM73 polymer plates

Re: Cutting KM73 polymer plates

Hey Susan,

Out of desperation I've used the blade approach to cut plates (score on the steel side with a ruler many times, then break). That works in a pinch.

Paper cutter works better, though it's sometimes difficult to get a straight cut. I cut them using a paper cutter (poly side up, leaving the mylar on). If cutting big plates, I also take a flat board, and use it to hold down the plate, close to the blade during cutting and try to keep the plate flush against the ruler/guide on the top of the cutter. This helps prevent the plate from bowing so much and helps to achieve a straighter cut.

No, it is not good for the paper cutter (though it still cuts paper), and goo tends to build up on the blade which needs to be cleaned with alcohol periodically.

Cheers,
Jon

SusanV wrote:
HI guys... I'm testing away here today, and getting some encouraging
results!  My newest question is how do ya'll cut these plates?  I've
tried a draw knife with a carbon steel blade, and a similar tool used
for cutting plexi.  I've used both before when cutting zinc plates for
printmaking (by making multiple scores), but these thin little polymer
and steel (?) or (aluminum (?), things are killing me to cut through.

I'm about ready to break out the circular saw or the table saw :o)))

susan

www.dalyvoss.com