U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Wrinkled Prints

Re: Wrinkled Prints

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Ritab19106@aol.com wrote:

Hi Judy,

Thanks, as always, for trying to help me. I'm not sure I understand your question above, though. Ultimately I will present the paper floated on a mat, and hinged to the back mat. But that won't have any effect on the excessively wrinkly look of the prints, so perhaps I'm not getting what you're asking... .

I gather then that you plan to dry the print in such a way that it will assume a wrinkled, but *artfully* wrinkled format, which will be installed as almost, or in a certain sense a print+sculpture to be floated on mat. Or maybe a 2 and 1/2 dimensional print?

I suppose folks do things like that all the time, and their prints balance in uniquely charming configurations ad infinitum. That may require a special gift, or two of them, which I lack. First would be deciding which wrinkle set satisfied me, at lest pro tem, in which I would probably do a workshop on wrinkling paper, with never-ending fascinating studies of materials and means. The next would be, say 6 months later when I discovered it had completely rearraanged itself, because I had absolutely no memory of that long crease across the bottom, which I HATE and would never have done -- probably the humidity.

So Rita, apologies, I will say no more, except to admire your sang froid. And though this may sound wise cracking,I assure you it is absolutely sincere.(PS. But even MY wrinkles change with the humidity, though that could be part of the artwork, like Helene Aylon's process work of the '80s or maybe it was the '70s, that changed over time.)

Anyway, it sounds terrific. Will you tell us when you figure it out?

cheers,

Judy