U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: wiping KM73 polymer plates

Re: wiping KM73 polymer plates

Hi Chris,

Sorry for all the forthcoming jabber. I know you said you're up to here with polymer plates now. But...

I agree that a good curve will make all the difference, and can be used successfully against Solarplates(TM) as well as the Toyobo brand. I will say there's a smoothness to the Toyobo that doesn't contain the pits or manufacturing "features" sometimes evident in Solarplates (and JetUSA plates as well). I've tried different thicknesses of polymer, but those are the only 3 brands I believe I've tried. Anyone have of any others they like?

I will say that, with few exceptions, I have yet to see a polymer plate print that matches good B&W silver prints or true copper gravure. There's still something missing. Something in the way the plate tone gets held on the plastic I guess. It's never quite as smooth and convincing as these other processes. Not to say I've not seen great and inspiring prints -- but it's got a distinctly different look to my eye. One day the technology will catch up, if there's enough interest in it, but I don't think we're there yet.

As far as wiping, I use phone pages followed by tissue paper only now. In spite of experimenting with fairly long post-exposures, the KM73 plates (with the finer screen I use) scratches like the dickens under tarlatan. In this way the Solarplates in conjunction with the standard aquatint screen are probably more durable. But I think the finer screen is probably a significant variable. Finer dots mean less plastic to hold up the image structure - thus greater fragility. That's what I've deduced at any rate. Cleaning the plate properly is also critical - paint brush and mineral spirits dissolve the plate's matrix, the way I burn them, so I've found other approaches cited in other posts here.

Best wishes,

Jon

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Hi all,
I find solarplate prints pretty close to a BW print...detail is not the issue with solarplate once you curve it correctly. The biggest problem is those dam mottles. But if in fact you all are right that Printight is more detailed, I may just have to buy some.

One thing I notice, having printed (limited) other types of processes, solarplate requires quite a bit of wiping. I have been using etching ink which works fine for me, but what I find about solarplate at least is that you have to use the tarlatan very well and then finish off with telephone book pages, wiping the plate to the point that you think you are wiping all the detail out. In other words, the plate should look like all ink is off the highlights of the image when, in fact, they still print! I don't know why this is the case that the ink is not visible on the surface but still prints. I may use a total of 4 telephone book pages wiping the plate clean, with a flat hand.

I read that the plate hardens from bottom up--that a flash exposure of 3-5 secs will harden the goo at the steel plate level and then you expose your neg. I find this fascinating after all the discussion on this list about top down hardening of gum. I have no idea what the hardening agent is in solarplate (any guesses? Diazo?).

Mind you, I have been working on solarplate all week to perfect my curve after a major glitch related to positive/negative issues, so I am solarplated OUT at the moment...
Chris
----- Original Message ----- From: "taylordow" <taylordow@sprintmail.com>