U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate problems

Re: solarplate problems

Hi Hellena,

Toyobo is different than Solarplate.  Toyobo's photosensitive layer is made of Nylon....Solarplate is from some other kind of plastic.  Not sure what.

Toyobo also has a mylar layer one must peel off before exposing and processing, where solarplate does not.  That's not the problem, is it?

Otherwise, I'm sure they have different exposure times.  What they will be will depend on your particular approach.  I'd recommend you start with a broad step tests and start narrowing down.  Dan Welden's book is a great resource.

Good luck!
Jon

Hellena Cleary wrote:
I purchased my first batch of solarplate last year at Intaglio Printmakers supplies in London.  It had no commercial name but just solarplate written in pencil. I recently bought another batch described as Toyobo solarplate and with no instructions provided.  I have been following the Dan Weldon and Pauline Muir book. The Toyoba does not seem to be working the same way as the earlier stuff- even to getting an exposure on a Stouffer step wedge. It seems to require more exposure.  Basically, is it me or is this material slightly different? ( The UV unit is okay because I was able to use the earlier material.) All suggestions and help gratefully received. Hellena