U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | solarized gums?

solarized gums?

Hello Friends,
With all of your added input I am getting the handle on things--at least
understanding how each element reacts and how to manipulate it to my needs.

Something weird is happening: I am getting highlights that look solarized.
The edges are white and the insides are dark. However, other details in the
print are coming through, and appear as they should be. At first I thought
my negative was printing negative. It has happened with two negatives: 1)
which had very dark areas [strong highlights] and 2) a test print I'm doing
where I having layered two exact copies of a negative onto one another and
exposed it together [all digital, 300 dpi, negative, with adjusted levels]

I realized it could be 100 million things, however, I'd like to see if my
thought are along the right path: The negative is too dense now and the
parts that should clear are not, because they have not received enough
light. Solutions: 1) use only one layer of neg 2)increase exposure, less
dichromate, and less pigment, 3)??

Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Thanks,
ilana