U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: solarized gums?

RE: solarized gums?

Hi Ilana,

If you expose a step tablet with the same emulsion and equivalent
exposure time (I say equivalent because b+f densities of the step-tablet
and your negative substrate may be considerably different from each
other), you'll probably see that the tones will progress from dark to
light, then paper white (if you don't experience "stain" with the
emulsion / printing substrate you currently use) and tone again after a
couple (or more) steps...

Let's assume you're using a 21-step tablet and you got maximum black at
step 1 (= 1 x 0.15 = log 0.15 density) and paper white at step 8 (= 8 *
0.15 = log 1.20 density, 1.20 - 0.15 = log 1.05 density range) + you got
tonal inversion starting from step 11 and progressing up. This
indicates: for this particular emulsion (pigment/gum/sensitizer ratios),
you shouldn't use a negative with a density range more than log 1.05.

For digital negatives, log 1.05 density range will translate to
different colors and/or curve endpoints depending on printer model /
inks / negative substrate and method of making the negative (such as:
using black ink only, using all inks for a smoother grayscale negative,
using colorized negatives...) When I say color, I'm talking about the
color of the negative, I'm not talking about the color of the pigment in
your emulsion.

If you manage to make a negative with a little bit less density (again,
that barely gives you paper white at specular highlights) you'll
probably free of tonal inversion. Limit the endpoint density using
Levels or Curves adjustment or change your negative color... (See books
by Mark Nelson and/or Dan Burkholder for detailed information on
colorized negatives. See also the articles in "Negatives and digital"
section @
http://www.alternativephotography.com/articles/all_articles.html)

Hope this helps,