U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: solarized gums?

RE: solarized gums?

Ok Loris,
I think I understand. I think both you and Katharine are right--I mean it is
the same idea whether one adjusts the negative or the pigment. I probably
agree with you--my choice is to have the optimal negative. However, I was
able to get a descent print by adjusting the pigment and my exposure time.
I'll put some of my images up on the web today so you all can see what I'm
taking about.

I think one could spend their whole life figuring out printing things:
http://www.gamutvision.com/docs/printest.html. I was just trying to
understand 'density log'. I could not find a control in photoshop. I'll play
with it all some more, but the link you gave me helped me to at least
figured the general range the levels should be set at--I'm trying a negative
today that ranges from 20 to 200. [however, I did this before but I also
adjusted my output levels so I think it was not making the negative less
dense]

All I'm saying is, I'm not yet sure how to judge my density log in a
particular negative, but it makes complete sense and I think if I can get a
handle on it, my prints will be easier to make.

Thanks again. Have a good day.

ilana