U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

RE: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

Chris,

  I diluted paper strength fix by half and I did not see any bleaching.  Am
I the only one that sees it this way?
Or maybe it is just on Weston that it doesn't bleach?  I fixed for 2
minutes, after a 2 minute water bath.

Perhaps a definitive answer would be to test sodium thiosulfate fixer
normally used for VDB against your diluted ammonium thiosulfate mixture
using prints of step wedges.

Assuming that the paper strength fixer was mixed from concentrate at a 1 to
9 dilution, diluting that by half would be roughly equivalent to a 5%
dilution.

Looking at a rapid fix formula sold by Photographers Formulary as a guide,
about 1 liter of 60% ammonium thiosulfate will make about 8 liters of
working paper fix which would produce roughly a 7.5% solution of ammonium
thiosulfate, halving that would yield a 3.75% solution or there about. Of
course there are other chemicals used and the PF produces a fixer with a pH
of about 6.5. Perhaps the addition of sodium carbonate could be used to make
the fix alkaline, ostensibly to further reduce the possibility of highlight
bleaching. But this is all conjecture on my part. Where is Ryuji when we
need him? And there is also the question about how to determine the proper
fixing time to ensure a minimum amount of residual silver salts left in the
paper.

My guess is that the Weston paper being so light in weight would fix very
quickly, much more easily than a heavier paper, but again conjecture on my
part.

> Did I also say it was made from recycled blue jeans?

Recycled blue jeans? Where did you hear that?

Don Bryant