U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

RE: fixing van dyke brown AHEM!!!!!

 I diluted paper strength fix by half and I did not see any bleaching.  Am
I the only one that sees it this way?
Or maybe it is just on Weston that it doesn't bleach?  I fixed for 2
minutes, after a 2 minute water bath.

Chris, when I made those tests (lost in the horse latitudes) about 20 years ago, I established to my own satisfaction that *bleaching* would be detected much much much better by running tests on 21 steps than by eyeballing prints, which are after all, random density.. It probably doesn't matter because you're making the print and adjusting all parameters to look "right" -- but don't count on there not being bleaching if you don't see it.

I think I did give some of that info with an article in an early Post-Factory by Bob Schramm... P-F # 1, even maybe. I recall that prints started to bleach after very short fix (& I settled on 2 minutes also), but again, if procedure is standardized, you print for that.

J.