U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarized gums?

Re: solarized gums?

Hi Loris,
You must have missed a crucial element of my point, if you think I'm recommending reducing or changing anything about the hue, DMax, or color saturation of the coating mix. I'm not recommending anything of the sort. I'm only saying that overpigmenting beyond the point where you've already reached the maximum DMax and color saturation for that pigment, can sometimes cause problems that can be remedied by backing off to a properly pigmented mix, without losing anything. If changing the pigment load changes the DMax or the color saturation, then you're not yet at maximum saturation, and by (my) definition, you're not in an overpigmentation situation. Changing an overpigmented mix to a properly pigmented mix doesn't change the hue or the density or the saturation or anything, since a properly pigmented mix is already at maximum DMax, density, hue, whatever, that the pigment is capable of. That's all I'm saying, so it seems like you're arguing against an argument I'm not making.

Other comments embedded below: