U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | platinum palladium bleach

platinum palladium bleach

Bob,
This goes back to the discussion that we had a few days ago on bleaching palladium prints. I went back to my notes and found a bleach that worked for me. I print palladium alone or with a small amount of Na2PtCL6 as a contrast control agent. My notes did not include any information wheter any platinum was present.
Bleach formula was about 5 to 10 grams of potassium bichromate to a liter of water with about 5 to 10 cc concentrated hydrochloric acid (muratic acid will do). This bleaching bath most likely acts via chlorine and therefore should be used outside or in good ventilation. It will last for a few hours in the tray and could be replenished. It should be discarded after use. It should not be stored in closed bottles. Ammonium dichromate should not be used in this recipe as a substitute for potassium.
Presoak the prints,
soak in the bleach for a few minutes (youcan easily see the effect)
wash
if needed use a meta bisulfite clearing bath( or Kodak clearing bath) to remove chromium stain (I did not see any).
As always understand how to handle chemicals and their risk before using.

Marek, Houston

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in as fast as 1 year