U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum - cyanotype recipe

Re: Arches Aquarelle and Gum - cyanotype recipe

Loris,

Here, belatedly is the cyanotype recipe that I use - one which I think is
very good indeed.

stock A
Ferric Amonium Citrate (green scales) - 68 grams
Oxalic acid - 1.3 grams
Water (distilled) to make 250mls

stock B
Potassium ferricyanide - 23 grams
Oxalic acid - 1.3 grams
Ammonium Dichromate - 0.5 grams
Water (distilled) to make 250mls

I have only ever used a half and half mix, and never tried 2xA and 1xB whcih
I understand is the preference of some - with the old classic formula in
particluar. I'd be interested to know if you try this recipe - and if you
know the humidity of where you are working there in Turkey - just to see
what results you get. I'm thinking that humidity is important with
cyanotype - although probably not as much as I now well understand it is
with Pl and Pd (thanks Mark!)

FWIW (and it may make no difference at all) I don't simply add 250mls of
water but start with 200mls and then add enough water so that the solution
is 250mls. I suspect it makes no difference at all since there are so many
different recipes out there and goodness know how someone (which, in this
particular case, may well have been Arnold Gassan since I have this from
Carson Graves who was a collaborator with Gassan in his researches and book)
came up with the rather precise measurements. I wonder if 68 g or 70g is
really an issue. I'm sure someone will correct me, in fact it would be nice
to know. I think Gassan also gives a recipe for teaspoon measurements.

cheers
Catherine