U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate/KM73

Re: solarplate/KM73

This is all Susan's fault. :-)

I tried scrubbing the KM73 with a bath brush once when I was working away from home. Not a good idea -- at least for my workflow at the time. That nylon brush Box Car sells is big and beautifully gentle.

Glad to hear the KM73 plates are working out for you Chris!
What do you think solved the mottling problem for you???

Jon

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
Good morning!
This list has been a lifesaver as far as solarplate is concerned. Whoever started this convo (Susan? Nancy? Jon? Helen?) I thank you very much.

I got my KM73 plates and took my same positive conglomeration that I was working on solarplate with--a Stouffer's step wedge, a digital step wedge, a CDRP PDN palette, a greyscale all inks only tonal palette, and a PDN colored ink only tonal palette. I printed it on the KM73 the same exact times I have derived on solarplate--5/5 to get a sense of apples to apples as best as I can. Wow. It was quite overexposed, but tonally looked very promising and ta da no mottling. I have no idea why that is the case, but after this box of solarplate is used up I will permanently switch to KM73. The mottling has been a continual issue with the solarplate for me.

Very interesting stuff that feels different in development, too--more...nylony.

I am assuming one takes off the plastic on top before exposing--I did--and I mushed the positive closely down on the tacky surface. With powdering, tho, too.

Two things that are a dream come true--the Elizabeth Dove aquatint screen--very professionally done, beautiful, and thick and sturdy. And the nylon developing brush for $30 from Boxcarpress.com is wonderful--large, flat, and soft. Much softer than my mushroom brush and foot brush I have been using that I bought at Target, tho those have worked just fine. This is $60 well spent--neither go into the trash because of mottling!
Chris