U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Rough Early Mid-Tones and Highlights

Re: Rough Early Mid-Tones and Highlights

I see, I'm afraid you won't be able to get the same smooth gradation and delicate highlights with the classic formula -> that's completely in contrary to my experience. Developing the paper face down - putting it in the wash water a la Albumen coating - "may" help a little bit. BTW, if you don't mind more greenish results, give Weston paper a chance...

My take on the toxicity of New Cyanotype -> that's purely academic. To me, Gum and/or carbon is a lot more toxic and dangerous when compared to New Cyanotype (still safe for persons who know they materials). Just don't be casual with the sensitizer + don't try to drink it and/or add it to your meals for flavor ;)

Quoting Michael Koch-Schulte <mkochsch@shaw.ca>:

I ran out of Ware's a little while ago and haven't had time to cook up a new
batch so I switched to the classic cyano which I had lot's of on hand. Maybe
as Christina says the coating is too heavy, or as you pointed out it's the
paper. I always brush coat with a sponge brush and usually only use enough
to wet the paper without pooling. By way of comparison, Ware's Cyano II
gives fantastic highlights, great scale and a nicer blue too. The only
drawback to Cyano II is remembering to add the acid and making the damn
stuff -- which is a little more involved not to mention toxic.

~m