U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Alternative to Epson 3800

Re: Alternative to Epson 3800

George, I'd echo the recommendation on the 1280, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just buy a new one, since mine, which I bought a little more than a year ago, wasn't all that expensive, around $200. This was my printer of choice even though I would have bought a more expensive one had I thought a more expensive one was better for my needs. I didn't want the slower-drying pigmented inks; my only use for the printer is digital negatives. I had expected to order the 1280 from Epson, thinking that retail stores wouldn't be stocking such an old printer, but when I went to buy a Mac G5, I mentioned to the salesperson at the Mac store that I was planning to buy an Epson 1280 for a printer, and it turned out they had them in stock, for significantly less than the Epson price. So it might pay to check around.

I'm very happy with the 1280, except that I have problems with clogged nozzles that I never had with my ancient Photo Stylus EX. I just have to remember to turn it off when I'm not expecting to use it for a few days. It makes great negatives for gum (so far, knock on wood, no banding, or at least only the kind of banding that can be remedied by running a cleaning cycle (or three or four).

Katharine