U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Mailing ist OK?

Re: Mailing ist OK?

Oh wow not only does Judy out me as a Seigelista (pron.
zhee-ghel-"LIST"-ah), but Gord uses my joke in the weekly reminder -- it
must be spring here...yes...yes that definitely smells like six months worth
of dog doo thawing on a sidewalk somewhere.
 What can I say about a host so gracious she bakes a dessert in my honour.
Yum! Let me assure readers that 61 Morton Street is wall-to-wall Judy, and
sometimes floor to ceiling too. What photographer wouldn't be envious of a
"north light" glass wall/window in the studio too. What decadence! (Ok maybe
luck.) Thanks again Judy my visit was a total blast and I made the Chris
Thile show at Carnegie Hall that night with time to spare. Good call on
taking the underground rather than the overground. I'm about half-way
through reading the new book. It's a great accomplishment and a fun read
too. Before I forget Judy, many a printer have a "thick" paper setting that
can be turned on in the driver. Also, some printers allow you to drop the
back door so the media can pass through flat and not get bent by the
rollers. I'd be careful with anything above 140gsm weight.  As for my
"cockamamie" free digital negative system. It's a work in progress and
almost ready for prime time. (See www.inkjetnegative.com). It's a group
effort. The real magic is Kevin Bjorke's java program for CS2 call
ChartThrob -- click a button and the curve is made. Too easy. I'm still
trying to come to terms whether the RGB cube model is best because it's
friendlier to the computer or the HSV/B cone model is best because that's
what artists can understand. I'll tell you what I have learned in the last
couple of days (I've been literally glueing together print outs of the
arrays to make a colour cube), there're even more colours usable for setting
the proper density than I ever imagined, if you wanted to set a density of
say 1.8 logD there are literally dozens if not hundreds of hue combinations
which will produce it. The only problem is that on some printers (not all)
there may be grain issues, but at least with having so many choices you can
pick and choose judiciously. The newer Epsons seem to be fine but the older
machines are more picky about certain hues. Ah shop talk. Ok back to my life
as a hausherr...time to drag the kids away from "Treehouse" ...time to go
for a walk and smell the dog poo.

~m