U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: solarplate wedgies

Re: solarplate wedgies

On Apr 6, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Barry Kleider wrote:


This might/might not be helpful -- I don't pretend to know anything about PD printing....
Hmm, nor do I....

Are you sure it's the film which is causing the moisture/condensation?
Yes, 90% anyway.... It's only happened twice, and only with this particular film, and only when I used the negative very soon (< 10 minutes) after printing. Since my gum procedure is standard, and has been standard for two decades, I think I can assume that there's nothing different going on with the gum coated paper that's suddenly creating moisture under the glass.

I've been doing some cyanotype prints over the past year, and several times I've seen this condensation under the glass.

I've assumed the problem is caused by moisture in the paper "venting" out as the paper warms up in the sun.
You're probably right about this; I don't pretend to know anything about cyanotype. :--)

Thanks for the thought, but I still think in my case, it was something about the film that caused the condensation on the glass.


Katharine Thayer wrote:

On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:37 AM, wcharmon@wt.net wrote:

I noticed the problem when printing palladium from diginegs on the new
'improved' Pictorico Ultra. The back (non-inked) side was giving me some
interference patterns that would occasionally be noticeable in smoother
toned areas of my prints. The old stuff did not do this.

I've had the same problem once or twice with the inkjet film I use, which I buy from filmsource and so don't have a specific name for. When I did have the problem, it was connected to printing before the film had dried enough after printing. Not the ink, but the film itself. The film isn't dry enough, or maybe that it's not cool enough, and the warmth causes condensation of the glass; at any rate there's moisture that caused this Newton ring-like thing (but not the usual Newton rings, which isn't a function of moisture) between the back of the negative and the glass. I found that a combination of drying the back of the negative with a blow-dryer and adding a puff of talc (I do it the same way Judy does, with a puff bottle. A little poof of talc upward, let it settle, and that's all you need) took care of the problem.