U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: Users of digital negatives

RE: Users of digital negatives

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: Users of digital negatives
  • From: EJN Photo <ejnphoto@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:19:57 -0500
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net;h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:In-Reply-To;b=S8EE+ItyGbKOHhkS7D7VsyjYSzLsl/X76Rg8Iw3loGIW8bYt/ZmTM/M/8PICwnW5Rl/OTvueATdaOw9rJbgRcLR8cfX0N5qf8GtEHruE1zEyNwZj/VA7zKZNyVAFik99S1Thqxz3Jtz5REz9Lf7DtqvxdxOQtou+6ySqBJRw/z0= ;

Catherine, It has thrown a monkey wrench in the whole process. All the great
Kodak, Ilford, and Agfa material that I spent years learning 4125, 4127,
Tech Pan, and countless hours of mastery are all for not; after which came
all the imitators trying to fill a void that was an ever shrinking market.
Trying to do printing with a shirking and inconsistent film supply while
maintaining high standards is no fun and very costly. What was to say that
your efforts would prove to be useable in one or two months let a lone
several decades? Having been told to give up film back in the late 70's
while going to college in the heart of computers, Silicon Valley, it was not
hard to pay attention to the coming of the digital process. But when would
it become worthy or serious consideration? Here we are nearing the end of
the 1st decade of the new century and the inkjet market is as unsettled as
the large format film industry; one fighting to stay alive and the other
struggling through the early years of perfecting its course. Flexibility is
the name of the game. Our papers have changed, the process to make the
negatives has changed and still the process remains the same.

What has it done for imagery? With the great ability to fix the composition
and elements of the image, digital has opened up the final print to many
more printers. You no longer have to have a precisely crafted negative with
one shot. You have many chances to get it right and if you mess up your neg,
you just make a new one. That is if the ink is still the same, the substrate
is still the same, ...

Day after day the image making instruments and substrates change so quickly,
that without the internets speed to share, a book or written manual becomes
marginally useful. So hold on tight and get out your wallets

Just a few thoughts,

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9