U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Users of digital negatives

Re: Users of digital negatives

Eric,

I loved your answer. Thank you. You are quite right about digital throwing a
monkey wrench into the works. All that time and valuable experience gained
in the darkroom is of little value now. Many of my colleagues who made
'straight' prints, not alt processes prints, have now dumped their darkrooms
AND have given up on digital as being too hard (although this is rarely
actually expressed) and instead pay someone else to make their big, digital
prints. Students even seem willing to pay a lab for (often crummy) prints
for their assesment, which, speaking as a
do-absolutely-everything-yourself-hybrid-girl, is something I don't
understand at all.

You make a very interesting point Eric - about digital substrates and inks
changing all the time, by suggesting that this situation is in fact not too
different to our analogue nearly-past of unreliable film and chemical supply
or inconsistent outcomes and, as well, the deletion of good film stocks.

Everyone has offered a slightly different take on this question - and I
thank you all. Great stuff.

thanks  Eric
cheers
Catherine