U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: buffered matte board??

RE: buffered matte board??

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: RE: buffered matte board??
  • From: Gawain Weaver <gawain.weaver@gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 23:00:24 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta;h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:x-mailer:thread-index:content-language:message-id;b=TIN1JgNP3sNWgBicLMvEolSwdFqMARTZis9k1Dfj4Q7wPO2+/aesfMAIL648Z68jlWEuHjZQ58y9drMQZHSah2CNKno405ef8pe32rFd9me2KGNuItdZDD7QjDidPfR7cdotHpUettzjQGILf8JJhkjSxHsCqdZj310a8pgk6M0=

Cut and pasted from Light Impressions http://tinyurl.com/26odo7 , who has probably been the most effective advocate for making a distinction between buffered and un-buffered mat board. Their description says it all, though be mindful that with regards to storing photographs, it’s all hearsay. I’m not saying it’s wrong, just unproven:

Westminster™ Non-Buffered Full Sheets - 25/pkg
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/servlet/gifs/fill.gif
When you're matting certain types of photographs, such as albumen, dye transfers, or chromogenic prints, and textiles, like silk and wool, use non-buffered board. Putting a buffered mat next to the acidic dyes in these materials could cause a color shift. It's manufactured with a pH value of 7.5 +/- .5, and because it is not buffered, the pH value will drop when exposed to normal atmospheric conditions. 32" x 40" in 4-ply (55pt., 1/16" thick) only.